May 4, 2011

America Prevails ~ 50 Years Of Missionaries

Hello Everyone (Minus Osama Bin Laden),

Crazy news eh?... AMERICA PREVAILS once again against the forces of evil.. Go red white and blue! haha.. It was all over the news today that Osama was killed.. Nobody in the Philippines even knows who he is haha. Me and Elder Sheperdson were celebrating earlier and all of the people here were just giving us blank stares, it was great...

But anyways, time for confession once again... (What am i.. Catholic??).. Anyways, about the pictures... I have been lazy lately in taking pictures due to the fact that we haven't really done anything amazing or fun since I fed the reindeers.. And the members in my ward aren't really that close with the missionaries so we never really see them outside of church.. I do have some pictures of the deaf people that I will post next week and I PROMISE I will take some pictures this week and get them to you next monday.. Whew.. Now that i got that off my chest.. lets move on.
So this past week marked the 50th year of missionaries in the philippines, as a result the church instituted an area conference. We watched general and area authorities speak via satellite and also watched a cultural presentation. The Phillipines has some sweet dances :).. I am sure you can find the footage on LDS.org if your interested in watching. It was really an uplifting and strengthening thing to hear about the hardships of the first missionaries in the Phillippines... It was also annouced that the Philippines in the last 50 years has baptized more people per year than any other country to record.. The Philippines has some 600,000+ members and it all happened in 50 years.. I am excited to see the changes that will happen in the next 50. WOW.. I am so blessed to be here.

Also, this week was ZLC or Zone Leaders Council for you noobs.. We all got together and discussed the strengths and weaknesses of the mission and prepared the PSPM training plan for the missionaries to use as guidance.. Last transfer we emphasized the book of mormon and this transfer we are focusing on "The role of the Spirit in conversion".. one of my favorite subjects. ZLC is also a big strength to me cuz I got the chance to see some of my old comps and just relax and talk to them about mission life. It really puts things in perspective and helps me feel not so alone in the problems that I face in my area.
As for my investigators..
The deaf people are doing great.. I feel so bad that I just call them deaf people but I really don't know their names other than their sign names haha.. But anyways we have 2 that are going to be baptized hopefully within the next three weeks. I am so excited and my Sign Language skills are improving every week. I can almost fully understand what they are saying and I can hold a pretty good conversation with them. Its awesome!
Also this week we contacted a referral coming from ward 2.. And she already has a BGD (Baptismal goal date.... Geez, such noobs).. and its awesome. Her name is Roseann, and she is only 9 years old but she reads and does her assignments and is progessing amazingly. We are looking forward to continue teaching her.
As for the Abo family, we found out that they go to Mauban (about 3 hours in a Jeep) every sunday so they aren't able to come to church.. IT is tough cuz were trying to find them a fellowshipper there so that they can attend church there.. Other than that small problem they are progressing and showing real intent with getting baptized. Right now we are just helping sister Abo with her reading of the BOM. She says she reads it but she doesnt feel anything and its just like any other book. So I am going to open it up to you guys.. IF anyone who reads this has any advice for this you can email me at rjhansen142@gmail.com I would love to hear any advice you have to give. And I am sure that Sister Abo would love it too.
We finally got a hold of Sister Jane and sister Geraldine again after a week and a half of no visits. They are in a hard time in their life and literally have NO money. Like they live on literally 50 cents a day. Its really sad but we are doing the best we can to strengthen them and not lose them as investigators. Just pray for them.
And as for Toni Oliva, she is doing awesome, reading her assignments, answering the questions we give her and will be baptized probably in the next 3 weeks or so. SO EXCITED! Go Toni! Nothing really to report there other than that she's awesome! haha

I think I'll end it on that note. I am loving my life and am looking forward to another month and a half here In Lucena City. I love you all and keep on keepin' on.. But don't grow mullets..
I love you all
Elder Hansen

No comments: