Hello family and friends,
Well, it's been a week here in Baco, Oriental Mindoro and I am becoming a Jungle Man.
Let's see this week we did a lot! A lot of walking lol.. Since Bikes are bawal here we have to walk everywhere and that means sometimes for more than 2 hours at a time. It is like a hike every day, my legs are sore and I got some new shoes for the jungle, they are straight up rubber, so I don't ruin my nice leather shoes. But all is well here in the Philippines.
Last P-day we went to Calipan, and hung out in the Zone leaders apartment.. Yeah, way nicer than our apartment, but its cuz Calipan is in the city where everything is nicer.. And guess what!! I bought a guitar!!! WOOOT!!! for 1,200 pesos. or around 20 bucks.. Not bad eh?? it's a pretty good guitar and I have been playing it whenever I have time.
Tuesday, we went to Nani Iska's hut, she has given the missionaries over 30 referrals and they ALL have been baptized! It is amazing! She is like 85, 4 foot nothing and she carries 45 pound sacks of rice on her shoulders. Yeah, she still works in the rice fields. She is so strong, we see her every week and she takes us to a new referrals house. It's pretty amazing! But sometimes we get punted, Like on Wednesday we hiked through dense Jungle to get to Nanay Melinda's house and yeah.. SHe wasnt there it was dissapointing!! But, yeah, that's the name of the game. Luckily here in Baco there is somewhat of a little market area, but our area extends all the way out to Puerto Gallera which is about 30 km.. So, it's hard work but it's growing on me.. I find when I am doing the Lord's work that is when I am the most happy.
This week I have started reading "Our Heritage" it gives the story of the pioneers who gave their lives and their strength for the church.. It is an amazing story and gives me a lot of strength!! But, yeah, We basically just walk around in the Jungle and find little huts, but some places are Bawal cuz the Mungians live there. THey are the natives here in the Philippines and they dont like americans and some of them have been said to be Cannibalistic.. So, we stay away from there. If we hear chanting we usually just turn the other way lol. Sometimes they Mungians come down to Baco and beg for money. I will take a pic if I can. But, yeah, about that lizard! We killed him!! YAY!! we caught him and burned him in a fire in our front yard.. GOOD RIDDANCE! That thing gave me so much heck. But yeah he is gone now and thats a good thing.
On Wednesday, we had District meeting, so we got to take a Jeepne down to Calipan for that. Afterwards, Me and my companion went and bought some basic necessities in the Calipan mall.. Like hand soap, dish soap, some Ajax, Bleach, Pinesol, etc.. I spent almost 1000 pesos on cleaning supplies for our apartment! Today I spent about 5 hours cleaning it from top to bottom. I gave it the ol "Barry Hansen" clean feeling! So now our apartment is a little more liveable and when you walk in the fresh scent of Pine sol kisses your nostrils lol.. But, things this week are a lot better. As for the language.. Yeah not so much. But its coming. I am understanding more and more every day. I think I will survive here in Baco, but just barely... Ok questions!
1. What is your companion like?
His name is Elder Tuazon, he grew up with 10 brothers and sisters sleeping on cardboard in a filipino ghetto. He loves his mission cuz the apartments are a step up from what he was living in before. He is infatuated with the fact that I am american and that I have arm hair. He is very touchy feely.. We have had to set boundries physically, cuz sometimes when he hugs me its just a little too gay feeling. ! He speaks a little english, enough to communicate, but he doesn't understand me sometimes. But, yeah, it's different. Sometimes it's weird being alone with him at night. He is a great missionary tho, he works hard and never slacks which is nice. He knows how to work
2. Tell us more about your apartment.
Ok my apartment is 2 rooms, a bathroom, and a kitchen area. All of which were disgusting till I cleaned them today. BUt yeah i'd say its about the size of our living room and kitchen put together. Its nice now that its clean.
3. What was your Sunday services like?
We have a tiny lil biulding here in Baco, no AC... the hymns are hilarious, they all try to sing in English and it is the funniest thing. All of the words are pronounced wrong and the piano player just plays random chords. it's so funny. But, yeah, I can't really understand most of what goes on. OH, I completely forgot to tell you! I gave a talk yesterday. FAIL!! that's all I have to say.
4. Are the members Strong?
Yeah, they really are.. Cuz to me the services are Lame! but they all have a lot of faith in Jesus Christ
5. What has been the most shocking thing about being in the Jungle?
6. Can you speak and understand the people on Mindoro?
Ummm... Konte Lang... wich means A little
7. What advice or counsel did you receive from President Anderson?
He just said that I remind him a lot of himself when he was on his mission and that he sees potential in me and to make it the best experience of my life. I think he knows what kind of a missionary I can be, so he put me in a super challenging area.
8. What do you need? What items can I send you from the here?
Um... anything american please... Everyone eats dried sardines and stuff over here EWW!! and you can send food through the mail.. please send meriendas!! (snacks.)
OK family and friends... Untill next time, I LOVE YOU ALL!!
Elder Hansen!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment