Jan 11, 2010

~Lamb Chop Whoa's & Sent from America ~

Hello family and friends!

This week was definitely an interesting one in the life of Elder Hanzen... The people here can't really pronounce their s's so they call me Elder Hanzen lol... it's awesome.. they even spell it with a z. But anyways, last P-day we all played games at our apartment and it was pretty fun.. that's all we really did tho. But, then on Tuesday, we worked our tails off! But to little success, we got turned away 3 of 5 of our appointments, and tracted 40 houses and not a single person listened to us. It was hard on Tuesday..
But that's not the interesting part.. OK, so, we were walking home at about 8:30 and we saw this Saudi Arabian restaurant and we decided to go eat there.. So we ate there and I decided to try the Lamb... Yeah, not a good idea. I'll tell you why. It's custom here in the Philippines that before you eat the main course they bring you the sabaw (or the juices of the meat that was just cooked). The sabaw looked pretty nasty, but I drank it anyways. Then they brought out my meal and holy moly, talk about Nasty Mcnastyness.. it was the grossest thing I have ever seen. eww.. like way scketchy. But, yeah, I decided to eat it anyways lol.. So I ate it and that was that... It tasted nasty, but i didnt want to waste 140 pesos. Anyways, so later on that night my stomach rumbled and it felt like a brick just dropped into my stomach. Needless to say I have had the worst diarrhea of my life for the past 6 days. Yeah, talk about LARGE BOWEL MOVEMENT! I have been popping Imodium like M&M's lol.. but hey, such is the life in the Philippines.. Now I learned not to eat the creepy, sketchy looking lamb chop at the nasty Saudi Arabian restaurant.

The work here is picking up, but it's still a lot harder than on Mindoro. The peoples heads are super hard and there is a GYNORMOUS Catholic church that everyone goes to.. lol, so they really don't wanna switch. But yeah, Batangas Zone is notorious for being hard to work in.. So, at least I know it's not cuz of me. But we are having some success. Yesterday, we met a lady who was very willing to listen to our message. At first I think it's cuz I was American and she wanted to know how I learned tagalog and about America and stuff, but our conversation switched to the restoration. It was way amazing, we taught her the first lesson on our first contact and She kept saying "Salamat sa panginoon," which basically means praise the Lord. It was way cool, she said that I was sent from America to teach her the words of the Lord and stuff it was way tight! I loved it! But yeah, it's people like that, that reassure me that what I am doing is the right thing! I love being a missionary and I love learning life lessons here in the Philippines. It's honestly amazing! I can feel myself growing every day and I can feel myself becoming a big manly man out here on my own..

Another amazing story! So on Friday, we went on exchanges in Calaca, the area right next to ours. cuz Elder Lopez has something wrong with his family jewels lol... He can't work. We think it's cuz he baptized someone in the ocean and he might have picked up a parasite or something lol.. So, yeah, he was sick and I had raging diarrhea, so we stayed in the apartment all day and just rested. It was so freaking BORING!! It reminded me of my life before I came on the mission. I was always just sitting around, Ewwww.. Life is so much better when our out and about. But,anyways, while we were at the apartment, the Zone Leaders stopped by to see how we were doing, they were on their way home from ZLC (Zone Leaders Conference)... That's basically where all the zone leaders and AP's get together with President and talk about each missionary individually. That is where they choose candidates for leadership positions. Any ways long story short, before the zone leaders left they handed me a sheet of paper that said "Your attitude reflects your leadership".... What does that mean?! I don't know... But my companion thinks that he is getting transferred next and that I am gonna become senior! holy, moly!!.. Like, I kinda wanna be a Senior, but I don't at the same time, cuz that means I will really have to step it up.. Anyways I have to go! But all is well here in the Philippines! I love you all!

Love
Elder Hanzen

No comments: