Jan 5, 2010

~ New Years in The Philippines 2010 ~

Hello family and friends!

Sorry this email had to come so late! But we had a gnarly zone activity today and now my entire zone is emailing. So, yeah, that's why its so late! But mamiss ko sa inyo. My new years was just not the same without everyone back home.. Let me tell you about my new years. We had a curfew at 6pm and we were in our apartments from then on out. Lol.. But there was a ton of fireworks close by so we watched them and yeah, kinda lonely. I missed everyone a lot. Man, the holidays are just hard. They are hard on the morale of missionaries and on the schedules of people. Everything kinda stops here during the holidays. So it's super hard to get return appointments and such, but this week we already have 2 times as many appointments as last week. So we are gonna get the ball rolling again.

But yeah, my comp Elder Granadozin is a true Filipino, he speaks 3 different dialects of tagalog and was raised on a rice farm. So, needless to say, his tagalog is basically amazing. If Zeus himself spoke tagalog, his nickname would be Granadozin! Sometimes when he talks it all sounds like on big long sound and I am amazed when the other people understand him. So yeah, hes got my back when it comes to tagalog lol..

This past week was the pinikamababang (lowest) week as far as numbers go. Yeah, I don't wanna repeat them to you but we barely had any lessons or return appointments purely cuz everyone was busy. It was pretty kuwawa (pitiful). I hope you don't mind me using Tagalog words, I want all of you to learn and I am just a lil mayabang too. Lol I love the Tagalog language, its very smooth. Like I wish I could speak it like a Filipino cuz all of the words just blend together so nicely and there arent really any hard sounds like english. It's very nice.

Anyways, we are teaching a family right now the Ormanenta Family and they repair pianos. We have made it to the second lesson with them and haven't got punted yet.. It is so awesome cuz they have this tiny lil' house but inside it is just packed with these beautiful pianos. It is so cool cuz they have no machines or anything and they repair pianos. I wish I could describe it better, but honestly it's hard, cuz I am trying all week to learn tagalog then I have to come here and type all in english. Like my mind is way nagulohan for sure. lol... It's so funny cuz the more I listen to the tagalog language the more it becomes simalar to english. Like sometimes when I think in English I'll put tagalog words there just cuz they are easier. I have really felt the Lord blessing me with the gift of tongues this past week.

Today my companion Elder Granadozin had to get a haircut and inside this Lil' barbershop was 2 gay guys. While one of them cut E. Granadozins hair, me and the other bakla (gay guy) had a conversation. It was awesome cuz I understood everything he said and he understood what I was trying to say back to him. He had to correct me and he had a few confused looks, but overall we had a nice conversation and my companion didn't have to help me at all. I told him about how were missionaries and about how we teach everyday all day higit pa monday, and that Monday is our p-day and just stuff like that. It was very cool.
Well, honestly, not much happened this week. Just all of the Filipinos celebrated the Bagong Taon but we had to stay in. I just missed you guys a lot this week. But it's all good in da hood yo. Haha oh! that reminds me! I have been teaching my companion slang English and it is so funny when he tries to speak it hahaha!! Today I taught him "Straight Up!" haha he says it all the timenow its hilarious! haha well I guess its question time!

1. What else do you need besides floss threaders?
Um... prayers. and a hug would be nice.. Send candy too! :)

2. How often do you hear from your Mission President?
I write to him every week. And we have zone interviews once every month, plus i see him every month at zone conference.

3. Have you learned any more about your companion and how long has he been out?
Yeah I described him in the letter.. But to add to it, he is kind of a hot head and has a short temper. He is lazy sometimes and i have to keep us motivated. I know that before i was his comp he was pretty pasaway (disobedient). So yeah i have to put my foot down and kind of be the senior of the companionship. but its all good, hes a good guy


4. Do you see much of the elders you were with at the MTC?
Nope. I see two of them at zone conference.. other than that. Wala

5. What’s your biggest challenge in your new area?
The frigging heads of the people.. Sometimes they can be thick.

6. What do you like best about your new area?
The members!!!!! WOOT! they are so awesome!!!


Sige, so that's it for now folks!! Just know that I am doing fine here, and that I love you all and that I am thinking about you!
Sincerely
Elder Hansen!

No comments: