Jan 28, 2011

~ Hospital Visit for Elder Hansen~





IM OUT!!!!

Whaaaa!!! I am finally out of the freaking hospital! President gave us permission to email today.
It all starts 2 weeks ago when i get a little cough with a cold, it wasn't bad at all but did keep me from working one day. So I just basically treated that cough and cold as nothing and worked through it.. I took tylenol and ibuprofin to mask the symptoms and about 5 days later it went away... OR SO I THOUGHT!! Fast forward now to last Saturday night... Me and Elder Liddle worked a really hard long day that day, we had been out since 10 am in the morning and had not been back to the house to rest, we had literally traveled from one end of our area to the other and were just super tired! Not to mention, we hadn't had all that much success.. But anyways, 7 pm rolls around and I start feeling like absolute CRAP! My cough comes back like 10 fold and I feel a fever coming on... So we go to one last appointment and it was the strangest thing too cuz during the appointment I felt absolutely fine but when I stopped teaching and we got out of there my body felt like it was gonna give out on me. So we get back to the house and not 10 minutes later I am in bed fast asleep.. Then I woke up at like 2 am with THE WORST HEADACHE ever, I'm sure Scott can relate haha... But the pain was so excruciating that I felt like i was gonna throw up.. luckily we had a trash can near by where I threw up like 4 times. After that I could feel my body shivering uncontrollably from a super high fever.. I was so cold and sweating at the same time .. this lasted until like 5 am in the morning where I got up and literally was just CRAVING to the max ang gatorade. So, I made Elder Liddle go to a very close tindahan and buy some.. When he brought it back I drank all of it and it was delicious haha.. I don't know why I added that part, but yeah, that's what happened..

So, lunch rolls around and all we have to eat are these kind of ramen noodle type things so we cook them and make little noodle sandwiches so I managed to down one tiny little sandwich for lunch.. after that I called Sister Anderson and told her what was going on.. she told me that it was probably a flu bug and that I should just rest and drink a lot of water. So that's what I did... Then later on that night we cooked some noodles again but these noodles had sabaw (broth).. with it. So we cook it up and I eat like 3 bites of it and then run to the CR (bathroom) and throw up like 5 more times and dry-heave for like 15 minutes.. OUCH! It was right then when I knew that my sickness wasn't just the flu, and it was probably something a little more serious. So yeah, the night comes and goes without incident.. I wake up, head throbbing, fever burning, chest and back pain from coughing and just not in good shape.. So Elder Liddle and I decided to call sister anderson again, but she wasn't picking up.. grr,,, so we called the AP's and basically told them that it's an emergency and that were going to the hospital right now, even if Sister Anderson doesn't approve haha.. So we went to this one close to our house, little did I know it was a Catholic hospital... And that is just the start of the problems.

Ok. so we go to the hospital and Elder Liddle and I were in the clinic looking to get a checkup.. so we ask where the doctor is and all that and sign in and what not.. So were sitting there and then the doctor calls me in, she asks me what has been going on and when it started and all of that... Normal procedure.. then she goes out and nurses come in and start doing all these tests on me and stuff. after that the doctor comes in and tells me she thinks that I might have a serious infection and need to be admitted in to the hospital.. So we call Sister Anderson and she approves, so I tell them that I will be admitted.. While they were preparing my room I was laying on this little hospital bed in the emergency room like filled with other people.. then like 3 nurses come in with needles and I was like waay, way scared because there name badges all said "STUDENT" on them.. I was like oh no... I'm gonna get stabbed with a bunch of needles by medical students.. Before they poked me I asked them if they knew what they were doing.. but none of them replied, they just all giggled because they were suprised I spoke tagalog.. Like these chicks were like 18 I swear.. it was scary... Luckily, they took my blood and gave me and IV with no problems, other than the pain and fear.. So. then finally after what seemed like an eternity, my room was ready.. Their "Best" room.. single room with Air Conditioning and a TV haha.. When we got there it looked like a room out of a horror movie. And when we got there we had like 1,500 pesos total.. we totally thought that was gonna be enough to pay for everything.. Like I thought I was just gonna end up sitting in that room until like later that afternoon and after I got some fluids in me the doctor would give me a perscription and we could leave like in America.. but NO!!!! As soon as I was let in the room I was wheelchaired out and taken to get all these other tests done.. I got an Xray and even an ultrasound... why.. I do not know at all... I think they wanted to know if I was pregnant or not haha... but as soon as all these tests were done.. each costing like 1,000+ pesos, they take me to my room where the nurse brings in a prescription form with like 9 different medications on it.. So, I tell Elder Liddle to go get the medications.. and HOLY mackroll.. they all cost like 3,000 pesos. So, like all of my money, my comps money, and my emergency money was completely gone at this point. So we call Sister Anderson and tell her that we have no money left... So, they dispatch the AP's to come with a big fat envalope full of cash to help pay for everything else. so yeah... to make a long story short I sat in a hospital from Monday morning until Wednesday afternoon with nurses 3 times a day giving us these SUPER expensive medications and treatments.. I felt so bad for making the church spend that much money on me, but I guess what was spent would basically be pocket change in America.. The entire bill came out to be just over 20,000 pesos or about $500.. not bad for 3 days in the hospital with air con and a personal room. I really hope I never have to go back there.. But yeah, that's how it happened... Now I am out.. I really should get going.. I need to be at the house resting.. OH!! I never said what my diagnosis was.. It basically was a super bad sinus infection that spread to my lungs.. yeah, basically the same thing that happened in the MTC.
Anyways I love you all and don't worry about me I'll be fine
Elder Hansen

No comments: